Freshmen & Sophomores
Freshmen should focus on developing effective measures to meet the academic demands of their courses. Students should expect to spend approximately 2 hours each night studying and completing their homework. Most teachers recommend that students take some time each night to review their course work from that day. Using the Covington Catholic device to keep track of all assignments, upcoming tests/quizzes, and grades will be helpful during the adjustment period to high school. Also, participating in extra-curricular activities and attending school social events will enhance their high school experience.
Sophomores should focus on developing effective study habits, maintaining good grades and participating in extra-curricular activities. Courses should be challenging in order to be prepared for coursework after high school. Students should begin thinking about their future plans and start researching information on schools or opportunities that may be available after high school.
Sophomores may opt to take the PSAT in the fall which is a prep test for the SAT.
The Freshmen & Sophomore Academic Year Timeline
- Students should start the year with a concentrated effort on managing their time efficiently and developing effective study habits.
- Students are strongly encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activities.
- Students struggling in a course should meet with his teacher and/or see his counselor for help in developing effective study skills.
- The Counselor will visit classes to review last year's academic performance and preview the activities, events and standardized tests for sophomore year.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences - by appointment only
- Students should be preparing for midterm exams
- Students struggling in a course should: meet with his teacher and/or see his counselor for help in developing effective study skills.
- The counselor will hold a division meeting to begin the course scheduling process for the following year.
- Students should work to finish the year strong and put good preparation into final exams.
- Students should consider working and performing some community service.
- Students should work to complete their summer reading assignment.