We proudly roll out the BLUE carpet to help you experience what CovCath is all about. BE A COLONEL!
Click a tab for more info on each event
- Dates & Events
- Future Colonels
- New to the Blue
- Preview to the Blue
- Placement Test (HSPT)
- "Be A Colonel" - Shadow Days
- More Opportunities for Prospective Families
- Open House 11/8/2020
Fall 2020 Admissions Events
We are back in school for the 2020-21 year and could not be happier about it! Extensive preparation by staff over the summer to create workable and effective safety procedures, by teachers to master new technology enablers, and by enthusiastic students who have accepted the new procedures have enabled a smooth return to campus for 520 Colonels from over 45 different grade schools and 30 zip codes.
Truly, to understand the culture of high expectations, support, and spiritual commitment of CovCath, seeing is believing. In past years, we have hosted student shadow visits, parent information forums, “Future Colonel” fun events, the annual Open House with student tour guides, and more. Unfortunately, current health and safety guidelines have inhibited and delayed our ability to welcome visitors to campus for these and related events.
We are very pleased to offer an Open House on Sunday, Nov. 8th, 2020 for 8th graders and high school students, with parents/guardians. See the "Open House" tab for more info. CLICK HERE to register to attend.
In lieu of the normal full schedule of on-campus opportunities, we will be sharing information about CovCath in some new and different ways:
- New informational books and brochures which describe the programs and educational experience at Covington Catholic will be shared electronically.
- Students on our mailing list will receive a mailing designed to virtually engage to learn more about CovCath, and win a great Colonel prize item.
- “Virtual visits” including informational panels with CCH Student Ambassadors and an “Open House Experience” will be shared.
- More to be announced…
Like everyone, we pray that COVID-19 related concerns will diminish, and we can reopen our doors fully to you soon. Until that point, you can find this and more information about our school and steps for admission at www.covcath.org/admissions.
Be sure to register for our mailing list by clicking the button below!
See the "Dates & Events" Tab for this year's Future Colonels Schedule!
dates and times for 2020 new to the blue are tbd
Covington Catholic's "New to the Blue" is a program for non-district freshmen and transfer students. It is designed to help these students meet each other and some other current students during the summer months so those first few days are comfortable for students coming in from outside our typical feeder schools.
Once the new school year starts, it doesn't matter what grade school you came from.... everyone becomes a Covington Catholic Colonel!
Take the opportunity to join clubs, participate in sports, sit with someone different every day at lunch and get to know all of your classmates. Your best memories of high school will be with guys you have yet to meet!
2020 DATES: late july (dATES TBD)
If your son is from an out of district school, this event is for you! One of the best ways to help your son feel comfortable and excited about Covington Catholic High School is participating in our New to the Blue event. Spending two hours at CCH, during one of the two scheduled times listed below, will ensure that your son makes some new friends and is familiar with the school and staff.
The event will take place at Covington Catholic High School.
2021 date tbd - 6:00-8:00 p.m. (approximate)
8th grade boys are invited to join their future classmates for a fun night of games and learning the CCH cheers. Cost is $10 per student which includes pizza, a drink, and a Class of 2025 t-shirt.
Register online (reserve your shirt size by completing the form below; t-shirt sizes are guaranteed if ordered by TBD, but we order plenty so will do our best to accommodate your requested size if you order after that). If you do not pre-register, you can still attend. Just have a parent come with you the night of the event to the registration table in the gym to complete the permission slip and pay $10 (shirts will be available in various sizes, while they last). To attend, we must have a signed permission slip from a parent. Contact Tony Barczak with questions at (859) 448-2257.
Saturday, December 12th, 2020 - 9:00 am (Report no later than 8:45 am)
All students that will be entering as a freshman in the fall are required to take the High School Placement Test. 8th grade boys that are on the CCH admissions mailing list will receive an informational mailing in mid- November with registration information for the Diocesan-wide test to be taken on Saturday, December 12th, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. Students should report no later than 8:45 to sign in and proceed to their testing rooms. The test will end at 12 noon.
Students who will be taking the test must bring and wear a mask. COVID-19 protocols will be followed, including temperature checks upon arrival and distancing in test rooms.
No specific preparation for the HSPT is necessary as the primary purpose of the test is to aid course placement. CovCath will provide all the materials each student will need, including pencils, scrap paper, and test materials. Calculators are not permitted.
Students that cannot take the test on this date, must take the test on a make up date scheduled with the Admissions Director. If a student takes the test at another high school but wishes to have a copy of the scores sent to CCH, he must indicate so when completing the test form on the 14th.
ANY MALE 8TH GRADER, REGARDLESS OF WHICH GRADE SCHOOL HE CURRENTLY ATTENDS, MAY TAKE THE HSPT AT COVINGTON CATHOLIC. (Note: To be eligible for merit scholarships, he must take the HSPT at Covington Catholic on 12/12/20).
Logistics and timeframe for a parent information session while the boys take their tests is TBD. The parent meeting will focus on the unique characteristics of a Covington Catholic education, including the STEM program and new House System, as well as explain the enrollment and tuition assistance application processes.
Please note that online registration will be effective by mid-November and end on Thursday, December 10th.
Pre-registration is strongly encouraged, however walk-ins will be accepted and should report at 8:30 a.m. (cash or check only)
The Placement Test Results Meeting will be held in early January. At this meeting we will distribute test results, announce merit scholarship recipients, and review enrollment and financial aid application information.
Grade School Visits
8th grade boys who attend one of the District Partner Schools (Blessed Sacrament, St. Agnes, St. Joseph's Crescent Springs, St. Pius X, and Prince of Peace) have the opportunity to ride Big Blue (our team bus) and spend the day with their classmates while they sit in on CCH classes, have lunch on us, and tour the whole campus. All of these group visit dates will occur in September-early October, however you may still schedule an individual shadow day or attend a Group Shadow Day with another group.
Be A Colonel Shadow Program
The Colonel for a Day Student Shadow Program gives current 8th graders a chance to spend a typical day on campus and attend classes with CCH students on an individual basis. Shadow days are scheduled Monday through Friday. The day goes as follows:
- Times: drop off at 8:00 a.m. and pick up at 2:15 p.m. (time frame is flexible)
- Location: Meet at the front office
- Dress Code: Collared shirt, tucked in; khakis or dark pants; dress or gym shoes; socks and a belt
- Lunch: Free - it's on us!
- Parents: You are welcome to meet with the guidance counselor to get answers to any questions you have before you leave your son for the day.
If you would to be a Colonel for a Day this fall, please call Tony Barzcak in the Admissions Office at 859-448-2257 to schedule a visit. You may also schedule this visit to coincide with other classmates or friends from your current school. If you already know a current student you would like to shadow, let us know and we will try to arrange it for you.
Group Shadow Day - tbd, 2020
Due to COVID-19, in person Shadow Visits are currently on hold. Please contact Mr. Tony Barczak at email@example.com to seek an alternative plan.
We invite all 8th grade boys (from a non-feeder school) that would like to experience a day at CovCath in a group visit to attend our Group Shadow Day. Students will spend a day as outlined above and should adhere to the dress code for their visit. Please contact our Tony Barczak at 859-448-2257 or click here to pre-register.
Personal Tours and Meetings
If you are not able to attend any of our scheduled prospective student events, we are happy to meet with you individually and we are always available for you to explore our school community.
Q&A Coffee with the Principal - Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:30-9:00 am
Parents: Get your questions answered in a casual conversation plus school tour with Mr. Rowe. Click here to pre-register or feel free to just arrive that morning.
Q&A Info - Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019 (6:00-8:00 pm)
Students & Parents: Get a closer look post Open House - Principal talk; Student Panel Discussion; Q&A with Admissions, Current Parents; HSPT info.
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 8TH, 2020
- For current 8th graders and high school students, with parents/guardians
- Pre-registration required (click below)
Hello Future Colonels and families,
We are very pleased to announce that we will have an Open House at Covington Catholic High School on Sunday, November 8th, 2020.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
In order to maintain safety protocols given the COVID-19 pandemic, the following special procedures will apply:
• Guests will be limited to current 8th graders and high school transfer students (current 9th-11th graders) and up to two parents/guardians (maximum of three persons per party). We hope to have another event later in the year for younger students.
• All guests must pre-register for a specific time slot. Latecomers may be asked to join a later tour (depending on available openings). Walk-ins can only be accommodated as openings allow.
• All guests will be temperature-checked upon arrival (and will not be admitted if temperature exceeds 100.4.
• All guests will be required to wear face coverings throughout their time in the building.
• Guests will receive a comprehensive overview, visit many parts of the school and campus, have some opportunities to interact (distanced) with students and faculty, and more. Each party will receive a schedule which lays out the school locations they will visit for short presentations at each location. CCH personnel will be present to direct each party from one location to the next. Guest are required to stay on this schedule, and to follow the directions for traveling hallways, etc., in order to not overcrowd or violate social distancing between groups.
• However, the following “traditional” elements of the CCH Open House will not apply due to COVID-19 safety protocols:
o CCH students will not lead tours.
o No one may “self-guide” their visit/tour.
o No refreshments will be provided
• Guests should plan to be on campus for up to two hours. If you need to leave sooner, CCH personnel will help you get to an exit.
Other persons interested in Covington Catholic High School (who aren’t available to attend on this day, or whose student is a 7th grader or younger) should contact the CCH Admissions Director, Mr. Tony Barczak at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-448-2257. Visit www.covcath.org/FutureColonel for more info.